[QtMoko] ringnote development (was: Re: dynamically generating ringtones based on the calling phone number

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Sun Jan 31 07:36:45 CET 2010

Thomas Gstädtner wrote:
> For my small tool epiano (which I haven't worked on in a while
> unfortunately), I use fluidsynth.
> You can easily use any soundfont you want and map a tone sequence to
> it, it's absolutely trivial and nice.
>
> If you plan to do this, use fluidsynth.
> You can have it run in background and play your melody in realtime
> with hardly any delay.
> It also has a nice API, so working with it is easy.

FluidSynth looks cool.  I had never even heard of it before today.

I have researched how to implement ringnote (feel free to suggest a
better name! :)).  The QtEI GUI (in the Profile settings) does not
appear to support running a command on incoming calls.  AFAICT, a QtEI
client app is required:  see

<http://qtopia.net/doc/qtextended4.4/qphonecallmanager.html#newCall>

The client app has to use FluidSynth to play the MIDI notes
corresponding to the digits in the calling phone number.  The client app
(what should we call it?  ringnoteclient?)  could call an external
command, such as a bash/Perl/Python script, or interface with FluidSynth
directly.  Calling an external command would be more modular and maybe
easier to maintain, but having ringnoteclient interface directly with
FluidSynth may be simpler.

I have 2 problems, though:

1. I do not even have a development environment/toolchain for building
ringnoteclient.  I know I could get one, but I am afraid I will be
starting Yet Another™ underestimated project. :(

2. I have little experience with C++.  I could learn more as needed, but
I still prefer C over C++.

So, can anyone with the required tools and C++ experience help? :)