My N900 experience compared to my FR experience (was: Re: [QtMoko] handset is (almost) unusable for voice calls with background noise)

Sebastian Reichel elektranox at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 22:28:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:05:25PM +0200, Petr Vanek wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 22:45:05 +0300
> Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com> (TJ) wrote:
>
> >FreeRunner is a bit like an old (classic) car - you know it will need
> >great care, you know it's not the fastest four-wheel on the block, but
> >damn it's elegant when you've yourself made it go so smoothly and know
> >how beautiful it is inside :)
>
> agree.
>
> interestingly enough, the ex-FR -> N900 user did not mention or compare
> speed of the two devices even once. so although speed is important
> (eagerly awaiting latest glamo development to be fine tuned) this
> tells us something too...
>
> cheers
>
> petr

Hi,

I have N900 and Freerunner, too. I have to say, that I'm mostly using
the N900, too. My reasons are:

 * Hardware keyboard
 * 3.5G modem
 * communication software is quite nice :)

As you can see I'm mostly using it for instant messaging and not
for SMS/Phone/... On the other hand I was able to find bugs in
most components of Maemo - the level of stability is not that
much higher than Freerunner + Debian.

I can also give a fair speed comparision, since I installed Debian
on both devices on µSD cards. In short: N900 hardware is twice as
fast than the Freerunner.

-- Sebastian