My N900 experience compared to my FR experience (was: Re: [QtMoko] handset is (almost) unusable for voice calls with background noise)

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 22:58:23 CEST 2010

2010/7/7 Sebastian Reichel <elektranox at gmail.com>:
> https://elektranox.org/website/debian_on_n900.html

Thanks for your great work with Debian on N900. I do look forward to
2011 or 2012 to eventually do a switch from FreeRunner, and N900 is
one (and currently best) possibility. It wouldn't hurt, though, if
some truly (with some definition near FR's definition or better) open
phone would come out by then.

I know I _could_ make the switch the day the N900 ofono driver is
ported to FSO or GUIs for ofono would be made (and the modem driver
would be stable in the first place, which might take time), but my
main line of thought is that now that I have a working phone running
Debian, I'm not that eager to switch just for the sake of it or just
for speed, especially if it means sacrificing a few freedoms. Maybe if
something new in the spirit of Openmoko would arise... like the
leviathan's prospect that he mentioned on the gta02-core mailing list
last month. Let's hope for the best, and meanwhile freeing
not-completely-free-but-near phones is the next best thing to do.

-Timo