Flashing qi broke my freerunner - SOLVED

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Jul 21 10:34:47 CEST 2010

On 21. juli 2010 10:25, neo at el-hennig.de wrote:
>> Solution for recurring WSOD:
>
> That was no *OD, as the freerunner boots normally, except for not showing a display. So halting the system vie USB/ssh still works....
>
>> The solution is to boot into NOR flash, and then select "Poweroff" from
>> the menu. After that, I get a normal reboot without the WSOD. Graphics
>> indeed seems a bit faster with this qi. :-)
>
> I don't see a performance gain on my freerunner (latest SHR-U, 2.6.23.13). How do you all test this? I mean not becnhmark-wise but with a real-usage-example....

2.6.23? You meant 2.6.32?

The performance gain is only for graphics operations, not for
computation or filesystem activity. (This qi improves timing for the
glamo graphics chip.)

So try booting with "normal qi" and "enhanced qi". In either case, look
at operations that paints or scroll large parts of the screen. Get a
feel of how much time is used - maybe you notice the difference.

Or play videos, and check how high framerate you can get before the
player drops frames. Or play graphics-intensive game like linball or
duke nukem. If you can get them to work on today's SHR, that is.
Currently, the necessary screen rotation does not seem to work well.

Helge Hafting