[ANN] AJZaurusUSB-0.6.0 (a better CDC Ethernet gadget USB driver for Mac OS X)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Jun 26 19:17:52 CEST 2010

Connecting a Freerunner to a Mac through USB is basically simple [1], but has its unique problems.

Major ones have been that the Freerunner is either not recognized by the Apple CDC Ethernet driver (depending on the versions). Or if it is recognized, but you have to configure a new interface after each reboot.

AJZaurus [2] as a GPL driver has been around since good old Zaurus times and does not show the "the everchanging Ethernet interface issue" (because it has special logic for presenting a Ethernet address towards the Mac OS X auto-configuration system).

But it also was a little flaky. The worst was that it could force the Mac into a Kernel Panic if the Mac went to sleep mode while the Freerunner was still connected. I put a lot of testing time into that issue but never found the reason. This week, I unexpectedly got a kernel panic which allowed me to track back the issue to its root cause and fix it.

Now, I am happy to release the new Version 0.6.0 [3] where this bug has been fixed. Please try it out and if encounter bugs and problems, please write to the Issues tracker.

Nikolaus

[1]: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
[2]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/AJZaurusUSB/
[3]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/AJZaurusUSB/downloads/

Mobile Office Solutions
by Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
http://www.handheld-linux.com

AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Making Digital Tools for Independent People
Independent People for Making Digital Tools