What to do with Freerunner / neo1973?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:47:32 CET 2010

2010/3/7 Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net>:
'> Well after a year I've finally dug out these two gadgets and am
> wondering .. what to do with them?  Anyone got any tips / tricks /
> suggestions for what to do with these old devices?  I'd really like to
> catch up with you guys that are getting some value out of these
> devices and what you're doing with them ..

I think for example this old thread lists quite a lot of "what do you
do with them" items:
http://www.mail-archive.com/community@lists.openmoko.org/msg49299.html

Of course, some simply use it as a phone and nothing much more.

> so how about telling us old-
> timers just waking up what the current 'nicest OS' for the Freerunner
> is?

Popularity wise it's SHR (http://shr-project.org/). I like Debian
(http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner) more because of its
familiarity, universalness, stability when upgrading etc., but you
need to enjoy tinkering since out-of-the-box it's not perfect and even
installation may not be problem-free. QtMoko (http://qtmoko.org/) is a
Debian + QtExtended based distribution with totally enjoyable
out-of-the-box experience, probably the most "normal users suitable"
distribution out there, at least in the sense it looks the most
productized.