Serious problems after failed upgrade

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 18 00:55:34 CET 2010

Why dont you reflash? (you do know that the FR has two boot options for
flashing - one being read only so it cant be easily trashed? - see the
wiki)

Your description implies that the upgrade left you with a missmatched
kernel and modules, or no modules - can you flash your original kernel
back (you do keep backups/versions? :)

Put a distro on an SD card, boot and install the matching modules
package.

Just depends how much you lose with whats on the phone - easier just to
reflash and start again if nothing valuable.

BillK

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 08:28 -0800, vancel35 wrote:
> Unfortunately I cannot get into the boot menu, and my desktop computers don't
> see the FR.  Not only that, but last night I tried the 1 amp wall charger to
> see if the higher output would get it to recognize the USB/power cable, and
> it didn't.
>
> The interesting thing about the USB port is that if I plug the adapter into
> the FR while it's turned off, it recognizes the connection and boots (as
> expected) but somewhere along the way the USB port is completely disabled.
> I don't know if it's a mokonnect failure or what, but something is
> completely hosed.  So much that I used to be able to take the battery out as
> long as it was connected to the charger, but now it turns off as if it
> wasn't.
>
> Would I be able to fix it if I had a debug board?
>
> I also need the buzz fix done on my phone, so if there were a US company
> that I could send the phone to that would do that work, maybe they could
> reinstall the bootloader so that I could at least get to the boot menu.
> That's really all I need is to get to the boot menu and I can do the rest
> from there.
>
> The FreeRunner was my first smart phone, and I've gotten used to it.  I
> don't want to tether myself to either Apple or Google, and I definitely
> don't want a Microsoft smart phone, so that leaves the FR, or some other
> smart phone that I haven't found yet.
Home in Perth!