getting started with wlan

Kai-Martin kmk at familieknaak.de
Sun Mar 21 19:56:47 CET 2010

On 03/21/2010 06:57:34 AM, Paul Fertser wrote:

> Exactly. Just add an appropriate section to wpa_supplicant.conf, it
> works for all networks.

Assembling bits and pieces from many sites, I got wifi to work -- manually
with commands through ssh and still with wake-up issues.

This is what I did:

1) Dump the testing install of shr and flash the latest unstable and rootfs
instead. I figured, I had not much to loose. Whith enlightment constantly
crashing and wlan not working out of the box, I thought I'd give the bleeding
edge stuiff a try. In addidtion many aspects of the testing GUI do not
match the description in the online manual. So I reflashed with the latest
unstable uImage plus latest kernel. Et voila: A much smoother interface with
illum rather than enlightment and no crashes of the desktop.
Mokonnect still couldn't find any network, though. So I hadn't gained anything
on that issue.

2) Modify the sample wpa_supplicant.conf given in
	http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wifi
I just gave my local ssid and added my secret wpa key.

3) Connect to the freerunner with ssh via usb from the dektop. The first two
commands are needed to set up the interface on my desktop (Debian/squeze):
	sudo ip address add 192.168.0.200/24 dev  eth2
	sudo ip link set dev eth2 up
	ssh root at 192.168.0.202

4) On freerunner, create an empty /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
	$ touch /etc/wpa_supplicant/
edit the file with vi:
	$ vi  /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
press i to insert and copy-paste the proper contents from the desktop.
This sure can be done in a more elegant way with sftp. But what the heck.

5) Bind the eth0 interface, so it is visible to other processes:
	$ echo s3c2440-sdi > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/bind

6) Check whether eth0 really appeared:
	$ ifconfig

7) Scan for wifi nets
	$ iwlist eth0 scan

8) Bring the eth0 interface up:
	$ ifconfig eth0 up

9) Start wpa_supplicant with fsoraw. This registers the use of the chip
with the power saving framework. A stand-alone call of wpa_supplicant
would suffer from power-down of the wifi chip.
	$ fsoraw -r WiFi -- wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf &
The ampersand (&) at the end of the line puts the execution in the
background of the ssh terminal . It let me use the terminal for further
commands. On the ssh terminal there is four times a warning followed by
some more
	ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
	ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
	ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
	ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
	CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
	Trying to associate with 00:12:17:cc:f9:a2 (SSID='linksys' freq=2462
MHz)
	Associated with 00:12:17:cc:f9:a2
	WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:12:17:cc:f9:a2 [PTK=TKIP
GTK=TKIP]
	CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:12:17:cc:f9:a2 completed
(auth) [id=1 id_str=]
This is good news --> wlan is up and running!

10) Issue a command to get proper IP numbers from the wlan server:
	$ udhcpc
	udhcpc (v1.15.3) started
	Sending discover...
	Sending select for 192.168.10.113...
	Sending select for 192.168.10.113...
	Lease of 192.168.10.113 obtained, lease time 86400
	adding dns 81.14.243.9
	adding dns 81.14.244.9

11) To test for internet connectivity with a ping to a reliable server:
	$ ping heise.de
	PING heise.de (193.99.144.80): 56 data bytes
	64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: seq=0 ttl=248 time=54.180 ms
	64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: seq=1 ttl=248 time=56.079 ms
	64 bytes from 193.99.144.80: seq=2 ttl=248 time=186.172 ms
Now I was able to browse the web with midori :-)

However, I still have issues with loss of connection on suspend and/or idle.
The connection does not come up properly on wake-up. It looks like wpa
key negotiation is automatically restarted, but udhcpc is not.
Consequently,there is wlan on wake-up, but no working web until I call
udhcpc manually. How would I fix this? I guess, there is a way to add
to the fso framework. Any quick hint?

Of course, this eleven point check list is just a proof of principle
and not ready for regular use. My goal is to wrap all this into a
script and start it with a button on the illum desktop. This must
have been done by others before. Any pointers to tricks and pitfalls?

> to search the wiki without JS shit,
                           ^^^^^^^
You mean, it works for browsers, other than epiphany? Checking with
iceweasel --> works!

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak