[debian] No AUX button

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Sat May 1 01:08:15 CEST 2010

With the Debian 2.6.29 kernel -

ii  linux-image-2.6.29-openmo 20100118.gita15608f2-2    Linux 2.6.29
kernel image for Openmoko GTA02 Neo FreeRunner

- my AUX button doesn't work.

I've tried to track this back through dbus and fsodeviced, and I've
discovered that /dev/input/event4 is missing:

debian-gta02:~# cd /dev/input/
debian-gta02:/dev/input# ls -l
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 64 Apr 30 23:05 event0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 65 Apr 30 23:05 event1
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 66 Apr 30 23:05 event2
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 67 Apr 30 23:05 event3
crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 63 Apr 30 23:05 mice
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      6 Apr 30 23:05 touchscreen0 -> event1

I believe the missing /dev/input/event4 explains why fsodeviced
doesn't get anything, and hence why there's no AUX event on the dbus.
(Whereas I do see dbus events for the Power button.)

Now I'm stuck with understanding why /dev/input/event4 is missing...
Would that be a kernel problem, or could it also be udev or hal?

Thanks,
      Neil