Introducing the Freerunner Navigation Board

Christoph Mair ml at chonyota.net
Sat May 1 17:30:00 CEST 2010

On Saturday 01 May 2010 14:56:52 omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2010 13:48:58 +0200
> Christoph Mair <ml at chonyota.net> wrote:
> > we are proud to release a hardware extension for our beloved Freerunner:
> > a navigation board!
>
> Great work!
>
> Are you going to distribute it? If yes, what's the price of one? If no,
> what's the cost of the modules needed to assemble one (pardon me if this
> question is stupid)?

The price for all parts is about 70€ without shipping costs.
The PCB is 3€, in case you want to buy everything else yourself. Most parts
are available from digikey. The gyroscopes can be bought from
http://invensense.com or from a distributor near you.

If you want a DIY-kit, I can send you everything needed to build it.

Soldering experience is definitively required. The QFN chips (gyros and
compass) are somewhat difficult to handle, but you can "reflow"-solder them in a
pizza oven.
I could assemble one for you, but this solution does not scale. It took me
about 5 hours to finish the first one, and an additional hour to find and remove
all the short circuits. :P

If there is enough interest I'll try to find someone which builds and sells
ready made modules.

  Christoph