GNU/Linux Wrist Watch

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Tue May 4 11:33:56 CEST 2010

Back in 1975 one of the watch companies made a "computer watch" that you
could play a weak form of asteroids on it, and program the watch in
BASIC.  It had a stand that contained a keyboard and printer, and the
watch communicated with the stand through inductance (you had to put the
watch on the stand to program it, input data or print).

> I don't know if someone is producing such a wristwatch, but there
> was
> a research project by IBM:
>
> http://www.research.ibm.com/WearableComputing/linuxwatch/linuxwatch.html
>
> showing that it is (was) possible and how it could look like.
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

Yes.  I have seen the prototype several times, the last time at IBM's
research labs in Austin, Texas (sitting in a display case) and it even
made it to the point where Citizen was a potential manufacturer
(mentioned on the web page)

BUT

the battery life was pathetic, and it was rather clunky looking, and it
still could not make a telephone call, so it was never produced.

BUT

technology moves forward, and someday.....

md