[gta02-core] Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue May 11 18:31:26 CEST 2010

Am 11.05.2010 um 17:50 schrieb Michael Trimarchi:

> Hi,
>
> RANJAN wrote:
>> A  really good idea.Looking forward to its release.
>>
>> R.Sriranjan
>>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
>> <hns at computer.org>wrote:
>>

> I don't know why it's usefull, sorry for the question. If you can
> give me a board that replace
> the gta02 board and I can reuse battery and display and keyboard,
> that's can be great but other type
> of solution change openmoko on a developement board

You are completely right in your expectation that we share. We would
be happier if we could offer a motherboard replacement for the
Freerunner. With OMAP and UMTS. But as Werner has already found out in
the GTA02-core project this is still very far from becoming reality.
The complexity is balancing circuit design with availability and cost
of chips, and pcb layout with production processes.

Nevertheless, the great open source mobile phone software developed by
this community (SHR, QtMoko, FSO etc.) needs to have modern open and
documented hardware to keep pace with pretededly-open platforms like
iPhone, WebOS, etc. Therefore, this Openmoko Beagle Hybrid board gives
us a tool to develop mobile applications with state of the art
performance (except form factor).

We, a small team of hardware developers, will continue to work on
integrating everything better - but this is a long way to go. I am
sure we will finally succeed because we have decided to do so, but I
don't know when.

So it is better to have something suboptimal than nothing...

Nikolaus

> Michael
>>> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>>>
>>>       http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid
>>>
>>> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a
>>> nice
>>> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard
>>> (it
>>> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
>>> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
>>> welcome). So the easiest solution was to combine what we have: a