qi-bootmenu-0.1 for GTA02

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Sat May 15 16:24:24 CEST 2010

Hi Torfinn

>     > with the SD card inserted, I see no bootmenu - it just boots
>     /dev/mmcblk0p2
>     > every time.
>     > What's wrong?
>
>     You forgot to tell Qi not to boot from the SD partitions. See:
>     http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qi#Files
>
> According to the readme[1] on the qi-bootmenu site, it is not
> necessary to mark the SD paryitions as not bootable:

This is the case if you have installed Marc's patched Qi.  The
qi-bootmenu results in a two step boot process:
- firstly qi-bootloader boots and executes the linux kernel in NAND.
This includes an initramfs with the qi-bootmenu userspace
- That userspace then scans SD card partitions, presents the menu and
proceeds to boot whichever you select.

So to get the bootmenu working properly you need to make sure Qi boots
the kernel/initramfs in NAND, and not your SD card partitions.  You can
make sure qi boots from NAND by either:
 - installing marcs patched qi which ignores the SD card completely or
 - marking your partitions as noboot as Al suggested.

If your freerunner is booting from SD card by default, and only
displaying the bootmenu when pressing AUX while booting, then you're
still using standard qi rather than the patched version.

hth.

Dave