qi-bootmenu-0.1 for GTA02

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Sun May 16 11:54:50 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:20:03PM +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Dave Ball <openmoko at underhand.org> wrote:
> > This is the case if you have installed Marc's patched Qi.
>
> Which is this one , yes?
> http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/qi-bootmenu/qi-s3c2442-bootmenu-0.1.udfu
>
> > If your freerunner is booting from SD card by default, and only
> > displaying the bootmenu when pressing AUX while booting, then you're
> > still using standard qi rather than the patched version.
>
> But how can it be, when I have installed the above qi?
> I even downloaded and installed it again, just to make sure.
> Still, the AUX press is needed.

I can confirm this. I also use the patched Qi and have to press AUX.
Nevertheless it doesn't matter when I press AUX, it's not so complicated as
when one tries to skip the first boot partition :-)

Questions:
 flash partitions are not scanned? Why?
 Is it possible to use better names ("Debian" or maybe "1. partition SD
  card") in the boot menu instead of /dev/mtd...

Remarks:
 http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/qi-bootmenu/#faq
 "After downloading the kernel and bootloader they can be flashed to your
  device like any other distribution with dfu-util."
 is confusing. qi-bootmenu is *no* real distribution but just a kernel image
 (with embedded initrd). Reading this sentence I was not sure whether I need
 to create a new partition somewhere for the boot loader.

 "The initscripts of qi-bootmenu-system are checking /proc/cmdline for a
  variable called qi-bootmenu-args and pass it to qi-bootmenu upon it's
  execution. This can be used to tweak the behaviour of the boot menu
  application via first stage bootloader arguments. Currently the flash
  partition /dev/mtdblock6 is ignored using this method."

 Mhm, how can I set a kernel command line for a kernel started from
 /dev/mtdblock6? I also do not understand the last sentence, probably
 it mentions the trouble I'm seeing.

  http://repo.or.cz/w/qi-bootmenu-system.git/blob/HEAD:/flash-kernel.sh
  tries to flash uImage-$MACHINE.bin but
  http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/qi-bootmenu/#download
  provides uImage-GTA02-bootmenu-0.1.bin.

I will continue testing this bootloader. I like it already but missing flash
support is not nice.

Jens