[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Thu Sep 16 10:36:36 CEST 2010

Am 16.09.2010 um 10:03 schrieb Sylvain Paré:

> Hi,
> Thanks for these news!
> Some questions:
> Does Openmoko Inc. is involved in this right now ?

Not directly. We hope they can become more involved
in the future, e.g. as a distributor for Asia (the project is
run in Europe) or when we really reach mass production.
For development and producing small quantities it is
easier and less expensive to have all people in one place.

> and which are the next steps between this and a real future GTA04 end-user phone?

For the hardware, we have to test the PCB and see if it smokes or the
Tux smiles on the screen. Then, we have to get RF certifications
and get components for building more than some samples.

It is still a long way to go.

Software should be quite less challenging. We have Debian Lenny
running on our demonstrator (i.e. with kernel drivers for display and
touch screen). So distributions like SHR and QtMoko should be
available right from day one (even before?).

Nevertheless there are many areas for experimenting with software:
* WLAN, Bluetooth
* use the built in sensors (compass and GPS etc.)
* make the audio subsystem work to allow phone calls
* power management
* etc.