[ANN] FRIDB: RFID-Tag/Reader board for the Freerunner, Nanonote (?) and Beagleboard

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Apr 29 20:51:47 CEST 2011

> Dear all,
> besides the GTA04 and the Freerunner Navigation Board,
> we have been working behind the scenes on a new hardware mod,
> originally for the Openmoko Freerunner. It is a
>
> 	RFID Antenna, RFID Tag (M24LR64) and a RFID Reader (TRF7960) board.
> 	For 13 MHz (ISO14443, ISO15693).
>
> The project [1] is still in its beginnings, but the hardware is designed and
> first samples have been built and appear to work (at least as far as we
> could test them). And, a first U-Boot based driver running on a BeagleBoard
> has shown that the RFID reader chip responds and sends interrupts. The
> tag chip also works and has been tested with an external USB based reader
> stick.

we have now the first scan results, i.e. the (U-Boot based) driver [2] is able to program
the RFID reader chip correctly to scan for ISO15693 tags. It now finds tags,
and identifies collisions of multiple tags (but does not yet resolve them).

Some next steps (where volunteers could step in): port the (simple)
u-boot driver to the kernel. And connect the FRIDB really to a Freerunner
SPI interface (we currently test on a BeagleBoard since it is easier
to develop U-Boot code on the BB).

Anyone interested to experiment? We will receive more PCBs next week.

BR,
Nikolaus

[1]: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_RFID_Board
[2]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/fridb/source/tree/master/u-boot