AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Aug 26 04:14:05 CEST 2011

error <lee at cmccreery.com> writes:

> AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have informed
> me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their network on Monday
> Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this issue?

Yes. They eventually started *intercepting my calls* and redirecting
them to a call-centre where someone would insist that they had to
give me a new phone. This happened several times (and they sent me
several phones--insistent that it had to be so. But this turned out
not to be a good thing...)). A long and convoluted story later,
I decided that it was worthwhile to flee AT&T and go to T-Mobile.
AT&T made a last-ditch attempt to keep me by holding a cheap phone
that I'd had on my plan hostage.

Of course, shortly thereafter, AT&T announced that they would be
buying T-Mobile.

For the time being, T-Mobile has in fact provided a superior experience--
in every way except that SHR, for some reason, just doesn't work right
with my T-Mobile SIM. QtMoko works fine, tho'.