AT&T and my beloved Freerunner

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Fri Aug 26 12:44:20 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:09, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
> error <lee at cmccreery.com> wrote:
>
>> AT&T has been calling and text'ing for the last 2 months.  They have
>> informed me that my phone will no longer be compatible with their
>> network on Monday Aug 29-30, 2011.  Has anyone else running into this
>> issue?

This looks a lot like IMEI blacklisting to me, I can't imagine any other reason.
In the states, I assume the FCC is the authority to contact with such
problems, and that's what I would do in this case, because the Neo is
FCC approved.

> Sitting in another part of the world, this sounds like complete rubbish
> to me.
> Massive network upgrades put phones out of use - here changes from one
> frequency to another, or from analog to digital.

Upgrades never put phones out of use as upgrades always keep backwards
compatibility.
There have been several upgrades on GSM networks all over the world,
yet every GSM phone that's compliant should still work, because the
standard is still valid (even though old devices might not be able to
use new features). So there is no reason why the Neo wouldn't be
supported anymore.

Of course networks get replaced by newer standards which are
non-compliant, but that can hardly be called an upgrade of an existing
network, because it always will be a completely new network.