GTA04 openness/freedom (was GTA04 Group Buy - Status)

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Thu Dec 1 20:09:02 CET 2011

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> it is obvious why the open and free software community needs
> a device where every individual has control over the software.

But isn't the GTM601 GSM/UMTS modem in the GTA04 just as closed as any
other?  How is then GTA04 an improvement over GTA02 in terms of
openness/freedom?  If anything, it's a step backward from the GTA02 in
terms of openness/freedom: at least for the GTA02's Calypso the free
world already has free physical access (legalities aside, please) to
full hw documentation for all guts of that chipset and to the fw
source for a different Calypso phone (TSM30) which may some day be
back-ported to Leonardo/GTA02.  For the GTM601/GTA04 we don't have
even that.

MS