Navit for QT Moko

Alishams Hassam alishams.hassam at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 06:51:27 CET 2011

Hehe, I don't think I've given a thank you to either of them either. It's
always hard in FOSS because you don't want to forget anyone. I think the
SHR folk and kernel hackers deserve lots of thanks as well! The folks who
have created themes for both have always made me love the phone more, also
all the authors of the various apps created for both stacks. Without each
of these groups the phone would be so much less. As nice as a fast stable
phone is, it's not as impressive without applications to make use of it and
a pretty UI; and no point to having a pretty UI and plentiful applications
if the phone isn't stable or working properly. Almost forgot to extend
thanks to Openmoko and all it's employees for taking the lead in this area
and producing this kind of hardware when no one else was willing.

I'm strapped for cash too, but whenever looking at other phones, I'm still
missing features that the FR has (except GTA04 of course, will be placing
my order as soon as I can budget for it- god damn it's expensive). As you
said, you'll have to pry it form my cold dead hands! I *love* being able to
run almost all 30,000+ apps in the debian repos if I need to; I *love* USB
host mode; I *love* that it runs Debian; I *love* that a group is working
on a completely free GSM firmware (does any other phone have anyone working
on that?); I *love* that we have schematics and that people have found good
mods to improve performance / fix bugs (I wish I had the soldering skills
to apply it, but I don't want to mess it up by lifting a pad or spilling
solder- those points are tiny); and tons more. There have been many people
bashing the phone, especially at launch, but most every complaint I've
heard has been resolved (at-least for me).

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if our community was as large as
Android or IOS, however we've come a long way with our limited
resources/numbers. I only wish I was able to contribute more myself.