It's not a camera

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Fri Feb 4 05:43:15 CET 2011

http://jeepingben.homelinux.net/index.php?level=album&id=26

After attempting to use a bmp085 as a temperature sensor for my skiwax
program (http://jeepingben.homelinux.net/wax/) and not getting good
results (at least partially due to thermal leakage through the i2c
wires), I added a mlx90614 to my freerunner.  It is an infrared
thermometer with a temperature range of -70C to 380C.  It reacts quickly
to changes in temperature and sort of fits in the freerunner case.
Installation is similar to the Freerunner Navigation Board install.
Christoph Mair has written a kernel module for it.  The module is on
gitorious, but is not yet available upstream.

There is a similar part called a mlx90615 which is much smaller, but
also has a smaller temperature range.  It may not work with the current
kernel module, but could probably work with small changes.