[Gta04-owner] GTA04 hardware suggestion and discussions : 802.11n dual-band+Bluetooth+FM transceiver (Broadcom BCM4329)

Glenn Moeller-Holst glenn.mh.dk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 18:40:09 CET 2011

At 18:04 +0100 07/02/11, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>Hi Glenn,
>
>Am 05.02.2011 um 09:18 schrieb Glenn Moeller-Holst:
>
>>  With block diagram:
>>
>>  BCM4329 Product Brief:
>>  http://pdf.eccn.com/pdfs/Datasheets/Broadcom/BCM4329.pdf
>>  Quote: "...
>>  Supports IEEE 802.11d/e (WMM, QoS, WMM-PS), h, i, j
>>  (upgrades available for k, r, w)
>>  Operating Frequencies:
>>  2.4 - 2.497 GHz
>>  4.9 - 5.85 GHz [ which means that should also support ch 100-140 ]
>>  ..."
>
>It indeed looks interesting and a little more integrated than the
>current combination we have with the Wi2Wi and the Si4721.
>And it adds 802.11a...
>
>What I could not find is a complete datasheet
>stating something about the dimensions of
>the chip. And how easily we can connect the
>antennas. The block diagram shows two
>external "switches" whatever they are intended for.
>
>Finally, we need some source to buy the chips. It
>does not help to find the latest of the latest if we
>can't get them in small quantities from a more or
>less standard distributor.
>
>We already have too many special chips with a
>single source only and a single missing part is
>stopping everything...
>
>For the Wi2Wi we have at least 3 distributors
>(even Mouser but they are a little expensive). And
>for the Si4721 we can go back to the pin-compatible
>Si4705 which is in stock with DigiKey...
>
>So any ideas where to get Broadcom chips / samples /
>data sheets?
>
>BR,
>Nikolaus

Hi Nikolaus

It might be possible to get an account - I have no idea - have you
tried to ask for one? Or ask for distributors in EU? Samples?:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/
Quote: "...
Broadcom provides access to technical documentation for registered
customers through our Customer Support Portal. To request an account,
please contact your Sales/Engineering contacts at Broadcom or its
Distributors/Manufacturer's representatives directly.
..."

I have no idea if these index pages/refered shops "are for real":

Slow page:
Purchase BCM4329, In-stock BCM4329 From SeekIC.
http://www.seekic.com/icdata/BCM4329.html

Home > For Buyer > Search: BCM4329:
http://www.seekic.com/buyer/search.html?keyword=BCM4329&x=0&y=0

Electronic Components BCM4329 Search Result for Sale
http://www.ic2ic.com/search.jsp?sSearchWord=BCM4329

-

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/02/broadcom-switches-to-the-light-side-the-start-of-a-new-era/
Quote: "...
Last summer, Broadcom suddenly and quietly reversed its anti-Linux
policies by releasing drivers for certain Broadcom wireless cards.
Most of the source code is closed, and at this point only a handful
of chipsets (mostly newer ones) are supported.  But this development,
which has remained more or less under the radar, nonetheless has
important implications that extend well beyond the wireless scene.
..."

802.11 Linux STA driver:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

regards,