some advertising

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Wed Jan 12 19:05:23 CET 2011

On 01/12/2011 04:38 PM, Sylvain Paré wrote:
> you are welcome for the .ogg! the cons is that I can't know how many
> personne did look the video as I only have a counter on vimeo.
> (only html code on my personnal page...)

Would you happen to have access to the server's Apache access log? If
so, finding out how many times the video was downloaded should be easy -
simply run grep on the log and count the result:

grep FRvsP2.ogg /var/log/apache/access.log | wc -l

This command assumes that that is the path to your vhost's access log
and that the video is the only file containing that string in the name,
and will print the number of times that file was accessed (aka
downloaded in whole or in part).

While this is at best an estimate of how many times/by how many people
the video was watched, I think most other counters are no better, as all
available methods miss and/or double-count /something/.

Even if you don't have direct access to the log, you might want to check
for availability of awstats or a similar log-based stats tool.

-Frode