QtMoko v31

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 19:24:45 CET 2011

On Thursday 13 January 2011, sferic wrote:
> Thank you for the hint!.
> I followed the references and boot v31 with Qi. For this I created the
> empty file 'noboot-GTA02' and put it to /boot in the partitions for debian
> and shr-u. This works just fine.
> But:
> After I use Debian on the 1st Partition and stopped it later and wanted to
> start again QtMoko, Qi came in kernel panic. There was the message, that
> mtdblocck6 can't be read (I don't  remember the the exact  content now).  I
> suspect that wrong boot options had been created (in mtdblock6?) that do
> not match with the file system for UBIFS. I had to reflash QtMoko
> completly again (qi, kernel and filesystem).  Currently I do not want to
> start my alternative distributions again because I fear the problem could
> occur again. Is there perhaps another way to reconstruct the right Qi boot
> options in this case than to reflash the freerunner?

Qi boot options for NAND are compiled in, and can only be modified by flashing
a modified Qi. I don't think debian would mess with your bootloader, and it
shouldn't mess with the kernel in NAND if booted from iSD. It could be that
debian was expecting to see something other than UBIFS on mtdblock6 and
managed to mess it up. You probably wouldn't have had cause to check for
errors in debian's boot messages though. If that is what's happened you should
only need to reflash the rootfs, and the cure would be to tell debian about
the UBIFS partition using a combination of extra boot parameters and
/etc/fstab entries. I've not tried UBIFS yet, so don't ask me what they need
to be, but /proc/cmdline in QtMoko should help.