[debian] cannot bootstrap libc6

Dmitry Chistikov dd1email at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 19:21:17 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to install Debian on Openmoko Freerunner and have encountered
the following problem. Both cdebootstrap and debootstrap fail to install
a basic Debian system (stage "debian" of install.sh). Packages are
downloaded and extracted, but dpkg is refusing to install libc6:

===

[...]
I: Extracting zlib1g...
I: Installing core packages...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt/debian dpkg --force-depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-8_armel.deb
root at hackable1:~# chroot /mnt/debian dpkg --force-depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-8_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 349 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libc6 (from .../libc6_2.13-8_armel.deb) ...

A copy of the C library was found in an unexpected directory:
  '/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libc-2.13.so'
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove that copy of the C library or get it out of
'/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi' and try again.

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-8_armel.deb (--install):
 subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-8_armel.deb

===

If libc-2.13.so and libc.so.6 are then moved to /lib, then dpkg begins
to wail about /lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libdl-2.13.so, which suddenly emerges
out of nowhere. On next iteration there appears libm... So, as far as I can
see, all these files are just being unpacked from the very package I ask dpkg
to install.

Does this mean that Debian sid (unstable) armel is broken at the moment?
How can this problem be dealt with? Changing --force-depends to --force-all
does not help.

--
Dmitry Chistikov