general SD card read/write problem

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Thu Jun 2 22:56:48 CEST 2011

On 06/02/2011 12:42 PM, Dmitry Shalnoff wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I have a periodically appeared problem with SD card writing/reading functionality. I has several cards to try and found some correlation with size and speed type of the card. '
>
> Problems are appers when I'm trying to write intensively on the card. Usually on the next boot I found filesystem corrupted and cant' mount card anymore till I fsck it (with predictable files damage) or reformat.
>
> generally it's looks like 16GB cards almost 100% cases have problems.
> and as I suppose 4 class cards more prone to problem than class 6.
>
> Question is simple: Is my suspicions are correct (concerning class and card size)? what is general recommendations? Who has any good/bad experience with different types of cards?
>
> I know about this topic http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Supported_microSD_cards , but it's doesn't looks like relevant tutorial to buy fail-safe SD and obviously this problem doesn't rely on brand name too.
>
> thank you beforehand for any help,
> Dmitry

Hi Dmitry,

I also had some trouble with my SD cards. For me it seems that using u-boot with 4-4-4 timing settings gives a much more reliable use of the SD cards.
With the 2-4-2 timing i have a lot of file corruption, so i switched back to an old kernel and the old 2-4-2 timing and have had little or no problem with
the SD cards since i switched back.
I love to hear if your troubles are over too when you switch back.
I got my u-boot from [1]

I run my distro from the SD card, so corruption is really annoying for me.

Kind regards,
Ed

[1] http://www.bsdmn.com/cgit/cgit/u-boot/snapshot/u-boot-gena2x.tar.bz2