Shiftd

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Thu Jun 9 18:17:44 CEST 2011

Dear Community!

Today I get to do one of the things I love most about my job; announce
our next product. This time, it's very different from what we've built
in the past. No circuit boards were printed. Steel tooling wasn't cut.
Mass production didn't dent our view of reality. No. This time, ones
and zeros were all it took to assembly Openmoko's fourth product:
shiftd.com - A web service to bookmark, share, and discover videos
worth watching.

Like all our previous products, Shiftd started off by scratching a
personal itch. We were fascinated, yet totally overwhelmed by the
shear volume of videos on the web. We desperately wanted a way to
speed up the process of discovering what's worth watching. Existing
tools left us deeply unsatisfied. So we set out to build our own.

Currently, we're focused on Shiftd's core interaction model:
bookmarking, sharing, and recommending videos. We have a working
prototype. We're excited about using it ourselves, but we know it's
far from perfect. Like the Neo 1973 many years ago, I want to share
our perspective with you at the earliest possible stage.

Longterm, our goal is to bring Shiftd to many different types of
devices and systems. At this point, technically, we have built only a
website, supporting a few videos sites, using Flash not HTML5 video
(yet). We have rough ideas for future improvements, including which
interfaces to open, but no concrete steps have been taken. We are at
the beginning - the time at which we know the least about the project.
Purposefully, we have made the fewest binding decisions possible,
while still maintaining our original vision.

Your feedback is critical for us to get this product right. We want
Shiftd's heart to beat from the living process that emerges from the
journey we take together. Your stories, your real reactions, will
intimately grow Shiftd into something great.

Sign up today at http://shiftd.com. Start shifting. Tell us what you
like and what you don't like. Personally, I'm really looking forward
to receiving your recommendations (@mosko) and sharing some of my own
favorites with you.

Sincerely,

Sean Moss-Pultz