[pkg-fso-maint] udev 171-1 and linux 2.6.29 and 2.6.34

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 07:36:39 CEST 2011

2011/6/16 Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi>:
> udev 171-1 does not support linux 2.6.29 or 2.6.34 on ARM. This is due
> to use of accept4 syscall among other reasons. Afaik it was implemented
> in 2.6.32 but not wired (=enabled) for ARM until 2.6.36(?).
>
> As Frederic Wagner pointed on IRC it might be just enough to add
>
> http://uboot.jcrosoft.org/git?p=linux-2.6.git;a=patch;h=21d93e2e29722d7832f61cc56d73fb953ee6578e
>
> to our 2.6.34 package.

I created linux-image-2.6.34-openmoko-gta02_20101212.git049b71de-2
overnight and it seems to be now free of the udev CPU consuming
problem I saw before upgrading to it. It's also now compiled with
sid's gcc 4.6, possibly improving ARM optimizations.

It's now uploaded to pkg-fso, but is currently stuck in incoming
because alioth doesn't have the reprepro command previously used to
update the repository. Ideas?

Anyway, one can manually download and install it from
http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/incoming/

Also as a general reminder to the community at large, the 2.6.34
kernel, especially this new one, is a better choice for most Debian
users than the 2.6.37 which has "slight" booting problems at the
moment :)

-Timo