Navigation board @ Pulster shop

Christoph Mair ml at chonyota.net
Sat Jun 18 17:51:33 CEST 2011

Am Samstag 18 Juni 2011, 14:51:05 schrieb Daniele Forsi:
> 2011/6/17 Christoph Pulster wrote:
> > I think the Open Source community is missing to link and interaction
> > between projects. Add-on products like navigation-board can cross the
> > gap, for exaple it is useful for Openmoko, Qi Nanonote and Pandora.
>
> indeed
>
> can someone recommend an USB<->i2c interface to use the navigation
> board externally, for those who don't feel like touching their
> Freerunner with a soldering iron or have a netbook?

I don't have experiences with USB-I2C interfaces but anyone should work. Be
sure to add a 3V voltage regulator (LDO) if you want to power the board from
USB which supplies 5V.

If you want you can build your own adapter using an old VGA cable. The I2C bus
is used for DDC. If you have a spare VGA or DVI connector on your computer you
could use it to connect the FRNB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector
pin 12 and pin 15).

To power the board you could try pin 9 which should carry 5V. Use a LDO
regulator to get 3.3V or 3.0V which is needed for the sensors.

The I2C bus needs level translation too. Fortunately, if you have a complete
board, the needed chip is already included. I will add a section to the wiki
about how to connect the board to a 5V I2C bus. Pinout and more documentation
will be added too.

Hope that helps,
  Christoph