How to forward FreeRunner's audio ?

Xavier Cremaschi omega.xavier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:14:35 CEST 2011

Le 21/06/2011 19:43, YoYo Siska a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 02:58:39PM +0800, Fong Yuenshu wrote:
>> case 1:
>>     I forward Xwindow to my Laptop already, when I dial someone on Laptop,
>> but the sound came out from FR, and use FR's MIC.
>>     So, in this case, I want forward "FR's sound" to Laptop, and "Laptop's
>> MIC" to FR.
>>
>> case 2:
>>     One of my desktop computer have no sound box, hence, I want forward
>> "Desktop's sound" to FR.
>
> I did this when I forgot my normal earphones at home and took only the FR
> headset ...
> you can just install esd (esound)  on FR (last time i tried it, it  was
> in the shr feeds, but that was at least a year back), run it, connect FR
> to the laptop and run mplayer -ao esd:192.168.1.202  file.mp3
>
> pulseaudio could be a bit more "user friendly" if can get it running, ie
> automatic discovery etc.. so that if you run it on FR and connect it to
> your laptop, it would just pop a message that a new remote soundcard is
> available... and you can move audiostreams from any application to that
> remote soundcard... I have that running between desktop and laptop...
> but it is still a bit unstable ;) and i don't think getting running it
> on FR would be easy...
>
> yoyo

You can easily listen a mp3 file using some pipes and ssh.

You can do (from your computer) :
    ssh you at freerunner cat file.mp3 | mpg123 -

It will be parsed like this :
- ssh you at freerunner cat file.mp3 : ssh runs on your computer, and try
to execute "cat file.mp3" on remote machine
- then | mpg123 - : the output is redirected to your local mp3 player
(mpg123 here)

The same mechanism is often used by admins to transfer tar files over
network (ssh distantPC tar something | untar locally)

To play a "collection" you can use something like that :
    ssh you at freerunner "find mp3folder -wholename \*Metallica\*.mp3
-print0 | xargs -p0 cat" | mpg123 -

It is a bit ugly but it should work if you just want to listen your music.

For Fong Yuenshu's problem it is a bit more difficult, as he wants to
redirect the whole soundsystem from the freerunner to a computer.
It may be possible with some advanced sound daemon like esd or else...
if you find a solution do not hesitate to share with us :)

Xavier.