[debian] experimentation with ofono, telepathy-ring and empathy...

Neil Jerram neiljerram at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:30:58 CEST 2011

Hi Johannes,

On 23 June 2011 12:24, Johannes Schauer <j.schauer at email.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 01:53:59PM +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
>> I thought this worth mentioning just in case others are doing similar
>> things: I'm experimenting with the stack mentioned in the Subject, on
>> my debian install, to see what kind of UI it gives, and how stable the
>> telephony is.
> Can you elaborate on how you approached that issue so that others can
> reproduce your findings?

Unfortunately I no longer have the details to refer to.  But as far as
I recall, it was something like...

- Install oFono.  It was 0.36 at the time, and it looks like that's
still the latest in Debian, even though I believe upstream has had
several releases since that.

- Start ofonod, then play with test scripts like `list-modems' and
`enable-modem'.

- Discover that nothing happens because calypso hasn't been detected.
I wrote a patch to fix that, and sent it to the oFono guys.  AFAIK
that is in the upstream code now, so a more recent oFono release
should detect calypso out of the box.

- `list-modems' and `enable-modem' now work.

- Install telepathy-ring and empathy, and see what happens - and I
wrote about that earlier (but a long time ago) in this same thread.

Does that help?  Please feel free to ask more detailed questions, and
I'll do my best!

Regards,
        Neil