GPRS and QTMoko

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 14:40:39 CET 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 04:14:42 -0800 (PST)
"W. B. Kranendonk" <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 3/9/11, W. B. Kranendonk <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 3/8/11, Wesley Frazier
> > <wes.frazier at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > If I boot my freerunner up from a
> > > cold boot and manually start GPRS it
> > > works fine. (...) it seems to
> > > stop
> > I got the same issue on QTMoko 0.33.
> > A while back GPRS came up as well;
> came up on the list, that is.
>
> > run anything in the background
> I tried one of the suggestions, run ping in the background as keep
> alive.
>
> For the last one and a half hour (or something), ping has been
> running happily with about 750ms for an answer; count of icmp_req is
> 2800 at the moment.

I left an irssi session running for ~12 hours which never PTO'd. I did
and still do have problems with GPRS staying connected whether using on
demand or always on unless I background something.

> The usefulness of the connection seems to have dropped though: the
> first minutes NeronGPS would receive tiles relatively fast, and
> browsing websites mostly filled with text would be OK.
>
> At the moment, downloading four tiles for one screen of NeronGPS
> takes close to half a minute (increasing icmp answers to about 2
> seconds).

My provider (T-Mobile) has an "unlimited" $1.49 data day pass which
slows to a crawl once it hits >30Mb of data. Does your provider do
something similar?

I hadn't noticed any slowdowns until hitting this limit while running
irssi to keep the connection alive. Once it does slow down it stays
slow until I buy another day pass. Does your connection speed ever
increase again?

Perhaps using mtr-tiny instead of ping might shed some light on what's
happening with your GPRS connection.

> All of this is symptom description of course, I still have to find
> out whether I am able to do anything useful with the underlying code.
>
> Regards,
>
> Boudewijn

This reminds me of the old days when AOL used to drop connections which
usually happened in the middle of a rather large software update of
course.

Brian