Openmoko / Medion Wikireader?

Patrick Beck pbeck at yourse.de
Sun Mar 20 19:10:20 CET 2011

Hi Sean,

it's great to hear from you :)

Am Samstag, den 19.03.2011, 20:40 +0800 schrieb Sean Moss-Pultz:
> Hi Patrick
>
> What would you like to hear in an official statement?
>
> We are very focused on making WikiReader a retail success. We sent a
> newsletter out in January talking about our progress:
>
>http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b982f5bdf55759b5b47661379&id=17f3fdc0f8
>
> 3 times a year (quarterly) we update WikiReader's content. Usually
> with new languages and added Wikis (beyond just Wikipedia).

i have not seen such a newsletter so it was a mistake by me. But i have
not found it on http://thewikireader.com/a/blog/

> Believe it or not, WikiReader is expensive to build. The quality is
> extremely high quality. We specifically designed it to last for a long
> time on very simple AAA batteries. This required special components
> that aren't commonly used in electronics these days.

I know its not so easy and cheap, but you have hard competitors on the
smartphone market. I own a Wikireader so i like the idea :) My father is
very happy about it. His only problem is the display, because it has no
background light (i know the battery).

I don't know if the problems are solved in a new version (i have to look
for a update). My last problems was.

- Table of contents would be very nice
- the overview block from the wikipedia (where population, president,
etc. are listed. For example in a article about a country)
- kinetic scrolling is a bit messy to see where you are on a black/white
display ;)

So last but not least. My question about a official statement. How looks
the future? I hope i can buy the third Openmoko device after Freerunner
and Wikireader :)

with kind regards

Patrick