Aurora

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Fri May 20 21:15:11 CEST 2011

> Although we have seen a welcome level of standardization
> via kernel class devices in the past years, there are still
> too many home-grown vendor solutions and interfaces developed
> out of the kernel tree. All those we (FSO) have to adapt
> to provide a unified experience to the application level.

And to expand on that... some of those device specifics
have to be reverse engineered. As a scaring prime example:
In September 2009, we launched the 'FSO on Palm Pre' challenge,
trying to get a GSM voice call running within one month.

Boy, how did we fail :)

It took us (or rather 'Morphis, our hero') the better part of
12 months to get a proof of concept done. Even today, almost 20 months
after we started working on the Pre, we don't have full coverage,
e.g. we just started to work on SMS, and GPS is also still lacking.

Our friends over @ HTC-Linux can sing many songs on that as well.
And our friends from OpenEZX can tell a story as well... it has
been 6 years now since the A780 has been introduced with Linux 2.4.
Guess what, it's still not fully supported in kernel 2.6, i.e.
no ALSA, no GPRS, no GPS.

--
:M: