Dialling INTO a wireless broadband modem with OpenMoko

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Fri May 27 19:22:50 CEST 2011

People,

I have a remote server with a wireless broadband modem (dongle) on it
and when am visiting the remote site I can make sure the dongle is
connected to the provider and leave it running like that.  The
connection usually stays up for some days - allowing me to log in to it
remotely - but inevitably the dongle disconnects.  I am wondering if it
would be possible to use minicom on the Freerunner to dial the phone
number of the remote dongle, make a connection and give me a dumb
terminal login to the server that the dongle is on.  It seems that this
would just be a wireless version of what I used to do in the "good ol'
days" with wired, acoustic modems connected to standard phone lines.  Is
there some way to do what I want?  If it is possible, it would be a much
nicer solution than leaving the remote dongle connected to the provider.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades