Dialling INTO a wireless broadband modem with OpenMoko

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon May 30 19:42:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 03:24:49AM +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> I assume you're already using pppd for establishing the connection
>> from the remote system to some host in the internet that you
>> control.
>
> No - when I plug the dongle in, I just let NetworkManager find it and
> set it up.  I haven't got it in front of me now, but I think I have to
> type some sort of keyring password to allow the connection?

I would guess it's highly unlikely NM doesn't use pppd for establishing the
connection.

>> I think simply adding "persist lcp-echo-failure 10
>> lcp-echo-interval 5" options to its config (/etc/ppp/options or
>> /etc/ppp/peers/<yourpppdscript>  or some other way specific to how you
>> start pppd) should be enough.
>
> I want to make the connection from the other direction - from my normal
> F14 desktop TO the remote Virgin mobile broadband dongle F14 machine.

Without CSD the most reasonable option imho would be to keep a persistent
connection over GPRS to some internet host you control and use it as a proxy.
An alternative would be to establish GPRS connection upon an incoming (voice)
call or message but that'd be more complex and fragile to set up.

HTH
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com