Dialling INTO a wireless broadband modem with OpenMoko

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue May 31 20:19:41 CEST 2011

Timo,

On 2011-05-31 06:35, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Paul Fertser<fercerpav at gmail.com>  writes:
>> Isn't the existing setup the same already (GPRS/HSDPA)? And with "persist"
>> option it should be pretty reliable.
>
> I'm not sure if I would rely on persist alone. I use a combination of
> hardware and software watchdogs [1] to implement reliable callback. If I
> call the phone from a specific number it does not play the ringtone:
> instead it hangs up and initiates a GPRS connection. When that is up it
> sends the IP address and some extra information to my server.
>
> This is quite reliable for me. I operated openmoko as an RTK-GPS base
> station with this setup for months without having physical access.
>
> [1] I use three watchdogs:
>
> 1) normal watchdog package that talks to the hardware via /dev/watchdog
> 2) custom perl script that verifies that the GSM is associated with a
> cell
> 3) a custom perl script that keeps the battery charged at around 60% to
> prolong its life and to also shutdown the system safely if power is lost
> for and the charge drops below 20%.

This sounds like what I want to do but from the other way around - use
the Freerunner to connect to a remote Fedora machine with a Virgin
(Australia) mobile broadband that is connected when I leave it but
eventually disconnects some hours or days later.  I am trying to work
out a way of dialling back in . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--