The idea of making the MOKO tab

Alexander Lehner lehner at edv-buero-lehner.de
Wed Nov 9 21:32:19 CET 2011

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, elf Pavlik wrote:

> Someone have just showed me yesterday this one:
> http://wetab.mobi/en/
>
> It says 'Open Software, Open Hardware' but don't seam to me like open source hardware...
> Still it runs version of MeeGo as you can see on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBUdiPZ1hA

Ha, I applied to this company a few years ago, when the product was still
in the pre-alpha phase. I guess it was shortly after the Neo came out and
I was interested in opensource development.
I didn't take the job for other personal reasons.
But there already the whole sofware and hardware stack seemed not open at
all.

So if you take all disadvantages of the NEO and the
iPad, you will get this 'weTab'. (Sorry weTab-guys for the hard criticism).
Similair to FIC/OpenMoko, their business plan seems not to work out.
And I guess there is no community around the weTab at all.

Maybe also have a look at the new 1-Laptop-per-Child XO/3 tablet
(german news site):
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/OLPC-Gruender-will-Tablets-mit-dem-Hubschrauber-verteilen-1374592.html
(Hardware is still a mock-up, of course...)

I still prefer the 'wooden-case' version after all these discussions ;)

A.