The idea of making the MOKO tab

Thomas HOCEDEZ thomas.hocedez at free.fr
Thu Nov 10 08:25:13 CET 2011

Le 09/11/2011 21:32, Alexander Lehner a écrit :

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, elf Pavlik wrote:
>
>> Someone have just showed me yesterday this one:
>> http://wetab.mobi/en/
>>
>> It says 'Open Software, Open Hardware' but don't seam to me like open
>> source hardware...
>> Still it runs version of MeeGo as you can see on this video
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBUdiPZ1hA
>
> Ha, I applied to this company a few years ago, when the product was
> still in the pre-alpha phase. I guess it was shortly after the Neo
> came out and I was interested in opensource development.
> I didn't take the job for other personal reasons.
> But there already the whole sofware and hardware stack seemed not open
> at all.
>
> So if you take all disadvantages of the NEO and the iPad, you will get
> this 'weTab'. (Sorry weTab-guys for the hard criticism).
> Similair to FIC/OpenMoko, their business plan seems not to work out.
> And I guess there is no community around the weTab at all.
>
> Maybe also have a look at the new 1-Laptop-per-Child XO/3 tablet
> (german news site):
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/OLPC-Gruender-will-Tablets-mit-dem-Hubschrauber-verteilen-1374592.html
>
> (Hardware is still a mock-up, of course...)
>
> I still prefer the 'wooden-case' version after all these discussions ;)
>
> A.

Hi all,

The idea is great, and (I thiunk) not so much hard to do.

The project could be based on the GTA04 hardware, (because it can be
used with a larger screen, with higher resloution), thoug the GTA02
won't ba able to.

So it is only a problem of finding a new touchscreen, and a case (as
usual ,-) ).

It could be a good idea to ask to Dr Nocholaus Scheller for the screen.

Thomas