temperature and humidity data logger

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Sat Nov 19 12:35:30 CET 2011

When I was looking for temperature sensors to provide input for my ski
wax program, I found an I2C temperature and humidity sensor.  Sparkfun
has it on a breakout board: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9418

I did some experiments earlier with using the BMP085 barometer's
internal temperature sensor for temperature monitoring, but heat from
the freerunner was throwing off the readings.  If you can locate the
sensor where it won't be affected by the internal heat of the
freerunner, I2C is not a bad way to go.  The installation instructions
for the freerunner-navigation-board show where to find the I2C
connectors in the phone.  If you choose a sensor that already has linux
drivers, you will be able to read temperature from /sys and your logger
program shouldn't be too difficult.

If you are planning to place the sensor away from the phone, I2C may not
work, I don't know the maximum wire length for that bus.