Writing my own Free Plain Phone sw distro for GTA02

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sun Sep 18 09:47:40 CEST 2011

On Ne 18. září 2011 00:04:45 msokolov at ivan.harhan.org wrote:

> Hello Openmoko community,
>
> I have just ordered my GTA02 hardware unit from Golden Delicious a few
> days ago, and I greatly look forward to receiving it in the next few
> weeks (intercontinental shipping and all).  But the real purpose of this
> introductory post of mine is to announce what I plan to do with it: my
> desire is to write my own from-scratch Free Plain Phone software distro
> for it.  (More specifically, take the existing & working U-Boot and the
> Linux kernel with no or just minor changes, but bring up my own userland
> from the ground up.)  Before anyone tells me that I'm crazy or why in
> the world do I wish to do that, let me list my primary motivations:

Hi,
you have chosen openmoko very well for your project. Just a few notes that
might be interesting for you:

As for good power management - it's given by HW design and linux kernel. You
can't affect very much from userspace. You can get 4-5 days on one battery
charge, if the phone is in suspend (PMU+RAM+modem is on, rest if off).

Take a look at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenWRT - they have also very
minimal userspace (just few megabytes) and nice kernel-like build system.

Btw why X11 for such project? Wouldnt be framebuffer enough?

Anyway good luck with your project, let us know if you have something working.

Regards

Radek