NAND vs SD on GTA02

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Sep 27 10:35:46 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 27 September 2011 09:23:17 msokolov at ivan.harhan.org wrote:

> > Use NAND.
>
> Yup, that's my plan.

If you want to have the system stable NAND is good choice. I never had single
filesystem corruption with JFFS2 even after pulling battery. With SD card and
ext2/ext3 you will probably hit filesystem corruption after unclean resets.

> > I hope anyone interested can buy GTA04 soon, so no need to worry about
> > GTA02 stock.
>
> For some of us GTA02 is a lot more valuable than GTA04!  Am I really the
> only person left in the world who wants his phone to be a PHONE, not a
> handheld computer, not a PDA, not a Wifi toy and not a GPS navigation
> device?  For a phone that acts as a *phone*, i.e., stays registered with
> the cell network while drawing the smallest possible amount of power
> from its battery, receives incoming calls and SMS on its assigned PSTN
> number, and allows its user to make outgoing calls and SMS, the part
> that matters the most is the GSM baseband processor.  The whole Linux-
> based application processor becomes essentially superfluous fluff for a
> basic phone.

I can see your point, but if the hardware and power management is done right,
you can power off Wifi, GPS and all unused things.

Since you will have most of the time phone in suspend, you should care only
about power consumed in suspend - which is power drawed by GSM+RAM+PMU.

And btw do you think that your phone will draw less battery if you remove web
browser from the system?

> For someone who wants his phone to be a phone, "free your phone" means
> freeing the GSM baseband processor, nothing less.  With the leaked/
> liberated Calypso bits I've been finding on that Chinese forum site
> (hoping to find more...), there is now at least a glimmer of a possibility
> of freeing a Calypso-based phone down to the GSM RF level.  But I don't
> see how anyone would be able to do that with a "modern" fully-monolithic
> UMTS module (GTA04 style) any time soon.

I doubt it is legal and if your phone operator would be happy with hand-made
GSM firmware.

Regards

Radek