GTA04: hidden LTE feature found

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Apr 1 11:02:42 CEST 2012

as you certainly know, LTE (4G = Long Term Evolution) is the latest
radio communication technology coming in many countries now. It
is designed to provide VDSL like data rates over the air.

Now, since we have the same Qualcomm chipset in our OPTION
GTM601W as the iPhone 4 has, I played a little with the AT commands
this morning and found this command:

gta04:~# ./femtocom /dev/ttyHS_Application
ati
ati
Manufacturer: Option N.V.
Model: GTM601
Revision: 1.7.4.0 (Date: Jan  5 2011, Time: 11:14:34)

OK
atlte
atlte
OK
atlte1
atlte1
OK
atlet0
atlet0
ERROR
atlte0
atlte0
OK
atlet1

ERROR

As you can see, ATLTE is accepted and takes a parameter 0 or 1,
while ATLET is rejected.

After issueing this command I had the impression that some http pages
are loaded at much faster speed than with 3.5G (UMTS).

Unfortunately the command is not described in

	http://www.ctiforum.com/standard/standard/etsi/0707.pdf

nor anywhere else. So we have to experiment ourselves.

Nikolaus