Discussion: what are your dreams for the Openmoko Community

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Apr 28 12:30:15 CEST 2012

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> It has become a little quiet here in the last weeks so that I
> really fear about the spirit and status of this community.

I think your fear is unnecessary.  There have also been times with very
high activity not so long ago.  It's northern hemisphere spring /
summer, so people are spending more time outdoors and less with their
electronics.

Also I guess there will be more activity when the GTA04 group tour
devices go out.

> So what are your dreams with respect to open mobile handhelds?
> What would you like as future hardware? What to see in software
> distros? Anything else? What missing piece are you waiting for?

I've written this kind of email 2 or 3 times and got relatively little
response.

My impression is that most people are impressed only by flashy whole
systems, or by ideas associated with extreme(-ish) outdoor activities;
and not much by

- dreams/ideas that haven't been implemented at all yet

- incremental developments and experiments in everyday OS or phone
  usage, outside the "whole system" context.

Regards,
        Neil