[qtmoko] flight mode power consumption / turning gsm back on

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Tue Aug 28 13:35:53 CEST 2012

On 08/28/2012 07:21 AM, Radek Polak wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 08:54:12 AM robin wrote:
>
>> I have a question regarding the flight mode:
>>
>> if I turn it on (GTA02 qtmoko v47) the icon is shown on the home screen and
>> calls are not possible anymore, so this is how I expected it to behave, but
>> the antenna still seems to be on as I see some bars indicating reception
>> and the power consumption stays the same as without flight mode.
> I dont know much about it, but i think flight mode means that you dont transmit
> any signal, but you can still receive signal strength.
>
> Modems have AT commands for airplane mode. I tried it on GTA04 (AT_OAIR)
> without any effect, maybe i did something wrong...
>
>> there
>> once was a paper which looked at different parts of power consumption of
>> the freerunner and if I remember correctly GSM was one of the major
>> consumers.
> You can check yourself - power off the modem and put the phone in suspend and
> watch charge_now:
>
> 	http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-August/002853.html
>
>> Now if I turn flight mode of the GSM apparently cannot connect to the
>> station anymore and I have to reboot.
> No idea here. I dont use airplanes ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

I always meant to hack my install to change it from 'airplane mode' to
'woods mode' because a GSM radio that is out of range of towers devours
the battery.  On GTA02, power consumption drops a lot in this mode.

On my most recent trip I powered my GTA04 off completely unless I needed
to check the GPS.

On a trip this winter a friend with a certain apple product was amazed
at the battery life they got in airplane mode.   3 days of photo-viewing
and listening to mp3s and it still had extra battery.

Ben