Wanted: GTAxx with Wifi and RS-232

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Dec 30 21:08:42 CET 2012

I have committed to provide an open-source energy monitoring system for
about 20 residential homes, and I need a gateway device I can program
that will take in data from an RS232 connected energy monitor, and then
upload it to http://emoncms.org

I can do this with a GTA02 (wifi built-in, and USB-host mode), or *maybe*
a GTA01 with a usb hub and wifi dongle, but I don't really want to spend
a lot of time testing, so I'd rather go with something that already has
wifi, or if someone is willing to test it with a GTA01.

For an example of what this looks like, see http://grid.coop/meter.jpg

(for the curious, you can also see my electrical usage/generation at
http://emoncms.org/grid.coop/ , which is uploaded by a python program
I wrote, that I'll want to run on the GTAxx )

My per-unit budget for the hardware is between $50 (bare GTA) and
$150 (GTA running my python code with wifi and rs232)

If anyone has some hardware lying around they'd like to sell and get
a Raspberry Pi or just help out another open source hardware project.

I also have some http://xess.com/prods/prod048.php boards I'd be willing
to trade for a GTA if you promise you'll try compiling the
http://yasep.org vhdl for the fpga ;)

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                 hozer at hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software & hardware (http://q3u.be) stuff and not get a real job.
Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz