$100 computers

Doug Jones DJ6MF at FROMBOB.TO
Wed Feb 8 22:20:41 CET 2012

On 02/08/2012 12:51 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Shawn Rutledge<shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>> With an Atmel it sounds like a dancing bear to me; it has so little
>> memory that you basically have to use it only for fixed purposes, like
>> the games they show.  No dynamic languages or possibility of
>> downloading much content.
>
> $100 would also get you Qi Hardware's Nanonote units, which is
> comparable to a Raspberry Pi + monitor + keyboard that you can
> actually carry in your pocket and use on the go (comes with
> a Li-ion battery, runs for ~9 hours in my experience).
>
> I have one. I like it. I use it mainly as a smart music-player;
> I've also written and run some Python and Scheme programs on it
> (so, it makes a nice `programmer's calculator' for, e.g.: solving
>   recursive problems).
>
> Not sure what others do with theirs.
>
> A couple of friends also have them, and it seems to take about
> 3 days between ordering from Sharism in Hong Kong and having them
> arrive on our doorsteps in the US.

It appears you can now buy the Ben Nanonote from a U.S. retailer:

http://www.amazon.com/NanoNote-copyleft-hardware-pocket-computer/dp/B0064URJNQ

It costs less this way ($94 including shipping, if you don't mind it
taking a few extra days to arrive) and you don't have to deal with
offshore banks and shippers.  (But you do have to deal with Amazon...)

(In recent times, the only times I have had money stolen from my
accounts have been immediately after dealing directly with companies in
other countries.  To their credit, Sharism does appear to be making
serious efforts to prevent these kinds of things, and before they
shipped my Nanonote I even got a personal email from someone at Sharism
discussing the identity theft issue.)