How to bring forward the community?

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Feb 27 15:13:31 CET 2012

On Monday 27 February 2012 11:35:38 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> So I would like to encourage to share what you are working on
> (kernel? driver? user space?) and what you think would bring forward
> the Openmoko community a small or big step.. Any idea is welcome
> (even if you think we already know about it).

I have been now 5 days away from home and had gta04 with me. It was quite
interesting now to switch roles from developer to regular user.

I had many outgoing calls. It was mostly ok - once my wife complained that she
can hear herself. I hope i can fix this in the voice routing program or with
PCM profile AT commands...

There was some mess when i called to work, they declined the call and called
me back. Something must have messed up and i couldnt hear anything. I have no
idea what it was...

I could write SMS, but the response came one day later after reboot - so there
must be something bugged there...

I had to charge battery once a day. The QtMoko's keyboards are all crap. I had
no internet - for me the wifi sensitivity is bad and i have not yet implemented
umts in qtmoko.

On the bright side - i have a lot of videos and mp3's on the phone and they
play really nice. I had offline maps - this is also really nice - other phones
are not that good in this.

So generally - the phone is now quite usable, but with some annoyances. And
you have to take care about the phone. It would be nice to just use it. Now i
am thinking about most easy way how to get there.

From the kernel side i think we still need better suspend, but generally the
kernel is working nice.

Userspace needs better audio routing - louder playback and better echo
cancellation and rock solid modem support. SMS+calls should work on 100%.

I think i will now add support for oFono to QtMoko. QtMoko's modem support is
not bad - but oFono looks solid and actively developed so i really want to
give it try.

Regards

Radek