[Gta04-owner] How to bring forward the community?

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Feb 28 00:18:12 CET 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:36:50 +0000 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
wrote:

> rhn <omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org> writes:
>
> > Having an easy way to build and share programs (without the need of an
> > entire distribution checkout like SHR needed if I remember right)
> > would also help. Native compilation perhaps?
>
> FWIW, native compilation has always been possible on the GTA02, at least
> under Debian.  Admittedly it was sometimes painfully slow - depending on
> what I was compiling - but nevertheless definitely possible.
>
> On the GTA04 it is quite straightforward and quick to compile things.
> I'm doing it all the time.

While I agree with all the above, I would very much like to be able to
compile GTA04 binaries on my x86_64 multi-core notebook.  I can do it easily
for the kernel, but that is made much easier by the lack of external
dependencies - no libraries to link with.

I tried once - having a Debian/arm distro in a directory somewhere and
setting up all the various paths, but I couldn't make it work.

Does anyone know how to do this?

(most of my user-space code is python which doesn't need compiling, but a few
bits are C and I would *really* like to be able to "make install" and it
would build arm version and scp them over.)

NeilBrown