[Marketing] Ideas / Plan

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 02:11:34 CET 2012

On Saturday 31 December 2011 13:08:47 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> > This takes approx. 15 minutes. Rarely more. And we have an installation
> > service if you don't want to DIY (I would appreciate if there will come
> > up local resellers or hacking groups in your area).
> >
> > Does this 15 minutes require soldering skills? (I think it does).
>
> No it doesn't. It is just some mechanical adaptations.
>
> I think Sean some years ago encouraged to open the Freerunner and
> take a look inside...
>
> > I personally am not averse to trying to solder -- it's something I want
> > to learn more about. But your "average linux geek" probably doesn't want
> > to. But they still might be enamored by the prospect of an open phone.
>
> The most tricky part is to peel off the LCD module from the PCB without
> breaking the glass or disrupting the fine cables. An alternative is to glue
> a new to the GTA04 board and just swap the complete GTA02-module
> with a GTA04 module.
>
> A complete description of the steps is in chapter 4 of the GTA04 manual:

I can second the ease with which the boards are changed. To get an idea of the
level: I have opened a few telephones before: to swap displays or put photos
behind the LCD when the LCDs didn't offer background images yet. I can not say
that it is in any respect a dayly routine for me to work on telephone
hardware.

The manual is quite to the point: the procedure seems quite elaborate, but
that is because every step got a photo showing where to put your fingers and
other tools.

The display is indeed the trickiest part: there are those conductive pads
between the display and the motherboard, that do not stick but get in the way
anyway while cutting through the double sided tabe that holds the display in
place. The wires are fine, but not more so than you'd expect from such a
device.

I might have taken half an hour, but not much longer. If I did it a second
time, it would be much closer to 15 minutes. There is really not so much to
it, all parts are made to fit easily and are also taken apart quite easily.

Boudewijn